Skip to content

BibDesk, BibTeX and Subversion – An academic’s necessity

When I first started this PhD program, I had a desire to keep all my references and papers in my computer. Better to search them. Better to keep them in one place. No dog-eared corners and ripped notebook paper in 3-ring binders. I wanted to minimize the stacks of paper that I knew would accumulate on the floor of my office. I wanted to preempt the piles that I’ve got a reputation for creating.

The fact that this was a pipe dream is fodder for another discussion at another time. I want to talk about how I am managing the documents I do have in electronic form.

One of the ways I devised to attack the problem of the piles was to locate and continue to use a reference manager for my electronic files (mostly PDFs). There were a few to choose from so I needed to make a decision. I decided I’d choose based on 1) open formats, 2) documentation, and an 3) open development model (open source). After looking through RefWorks, vanilla BibTeX files, ProCite, EndNote, Reference Manager (the application) and BibDesk, I chose BibDesk.

BibDesk (screenshots) wins because of these:

• Open data format: BibDesk is a Mac app built to manage BibTeX files. BibTeX is an open format designed to be easily edited and easily moved from platform to platform (it’s plaintext). It has been developed by many eyes over many years and seems to be one of the most robust and flexible formats available for keeping track of bibliographic records.
  • Documentation: Being as old as it is, BibTeX has a great number of well documented use cases. Many of the people who use BibTeX have documented their different situations online, where I can find them through basic web search. This is a very big deal – as I can be confident that whatever it is I’m trying to do with the software, I’m probably not the first. And BibDesk itself is documented pretty well too.
  • Open source code: The codebase for BibDesk is open and available for download, inspection, and editing (if you are so inclined). I can trust that the format and application with which I’m choosing to manage my papers and references will not go away tomorrow. The company that owns the application cannot decide tomorrow that I need to pay to upgrade or that a particularly favorite feature is no longer necessary (and therefore no longer available). The fact that BibDesk also happens to be under quite active development is an added bonus. It is not uncommon when, if I’ve noticed something with BibDesk that I find annoying or less-than-polished, upon upgrading, it is improved or fixed outright. This continual improvement and attention to detail is a good thing and cannot be overstated as a matter of instilling confidence in a software selection.

As an added piece of the BibTeX/BibDesk solution I chose Subversion for version control. Version control protects me from errors/deletion of my own doing as well as those caused by “accidents” like power-failures or bad disk drives, etc. Subversion works well with the rest of this system because the entire BibTeX file is simple text. It also allows me seamless syncronization between different computers (home and school) and I can be sure I always have the most recent updates (read: PDFs I’ve already found once) available to me, no matter where I happen to be studying/working.

Additionally, by having my subversion repository “in the sky” (my hosting provider) I’ve got yet a third place where the data lives, making it even less likely that I’ll lose it in a fat-fingered accident or because someone has stolen my laptop.

I’ve collected the steps for my personal SVN/BibDesk/BibTeX solution below. I share them here since, when researching this on my own, nobody seemed to have this setup documented in one place.

Downloading and Installing BibDesk

This is one of the most straightforward steps. You can get BibDesk from the project’s homepage. Once the dmg is mounted, simply drag BibDesk to your Applications directory.

Configuring BibDesk

I made a couple choices as to how I wanted BibDesk to work – and I share them here because the choices work well with the plans I had for Subversion.

I want BibDesk to manage my PDFs like iTunes manages music files. I do not want to have to name all the PDFs and make sure they’re in the right place and constantly worry about whether I’ve saved it correctly. I want to tell the reference manager that I’ve got a reference, and I’ve got the electronic version of that reference, and please link them together. But I also want to be able to dig into that file tree later and browse to a well-named PDF so I can send it to a friend or colleague.

BibDesk does this through two features – the CiteKey, and AutoFile. Both are found in the BibDesk preferences panel.

prefs.png

CiteKey is where you define your unique identifier for each entry across your library of references.

citekey.png

I have chosen “First Author, Year, First 20 Characters of Title” as my convention. This gives the “Format String” the value of “%a1%Y%t20”. Many others before me have chosen different format strings, but this combination seems to be a good balance between regular citation convention and the need to remain useful when simply browsing the file tree.

citekeypref.png

The CiteKey determines how the references are kept unique within the BibTeX file. I take this an extra step and keep that same format as the unique key for naming the attached PDFs as well. This is where the AutoFile preferences come into play.

autofile.png

I tell BibDesk to store my files in a set directory. I tell BibDesk to file my papers automatically (like iTunes). And I tell BibDesk to use the same format I had just defined for the CiteKey. The format string for this is “%f{Cite Key}%e”. The %e on the end tells BibDesk to use the file extension usually associated with that type of file (almost always .pdf for me).

Update: Additionally, consider checking the second box (relative path for local-urls) if you’re using subversion to manage your BibTeX file from multiple machines with different full paths. I missed this myself, as my machines have consistent user accounts (and therefore, full paths).

autofilepref.png

And that’s it for the BibDesk setup. BibDesk should now store my references automatically as I find them and save them in the GUI. When I want to get back to a linked PDF from within BibDesk, I can simply double-click on it, and the linked file will open in my PDF viewer. No more digging around for lost files. I could also go browse the file tree where I told BibDesk to store my files – and they’ll be there named well and easy to scroll through.

Of course, BibDesk itself has keywords (tagging), annotation, and search – so it’s easy to find the reference you’re looking for from within the app in the first place as well.

Subversion

Subversion is a version control system that allows you to track changes across a file system. Read more about it here and here.

The system works as follows… There is a repository that holds your files. This repository could live on your computer or somewhere else. Mine lives “in the sky” at my hosting provider and is a full copy of all my SCHOOL files. When you work with subversion, you’re actually always interacting with a “working copy” on your local machine. When you are ready to save your changes to the version control system, you “commit” your changes back to the repository. If you are on a different machine with a different working copy of the same repository (this can be used by multiple people as well…), you simply have to resync that working copy, and it will download all the changes made to the repository in the sky. Magical stuff, no? Multiple computers, in sync, and no hard thinking necessary.

My BibDesk files are only a part of a greater collection of documents that I have under version control – but you can see how they live under the SCHOOL folder here.

finder.png

My BibTeX file (“BibFileTGR.bib”) lives right alongside the “BibDeskDocs” directory that I specified above in the AutoFile preferences panel. All my collected PDFs live in that BibDeskDocs directory. When things change in the BibTeX file or in the Docs directory, I commit the changes to the subversion repository and never think about it again. They’re safe. I’ve got a remote backup, and a full history of changes, built-in.

Configuring Subversion

Installing Subversion and getting it functional on your system is beyond the scope of this document, but please take the time to consider using it. It’s an integral part of what makes this system so powerful.

Quite a few hosting companies provide svn space. My own stuff is hosted at TextDrive.

Here are some of the Knowledge Base articles at TextDrive about getting your subversion up and running. If they’re not exactly the same as your setup, they shouldn’t be too far off. Again, the power of plaintext configuration and open source documentation.

Feedback

I’d love to hear from others who are using something like this for their own reference management. Do you have anything to add? Anything I left out?

I had used version control for my software projects for a while, but definitely had a moment when everything clicked for me when I realized my BibTeX was just plaintext as well and would fit very nicely within my existing setup.

I won’t be locked into a vendor – or an upgrade cycle – or an opaque “corruption” of my database file. I’ll even be protected against my own fat fingers, since I have the ability to go “back in time” through my versions after a bad save or deleted reference (oops).

Presumably, I can continue to cultivate and build my reference library for many years and never have to worry about it disappearing or getting corrupted.

Tags: - - -

View blog reactions

{ 14 } Comments

1. Sean McKay | February 28, 2007 at 5:40 am | Permalink

Hi Terrell, brilliant solution! I started using TeX Shop on my Mac several years ago and then stopped because I didn’t have a good solution for Bibliography management. This is the missing piece that I needed to get started with not only BibTeX but also Subversion for revision control. Thanks for posting this!

2. Cameron | February 28, 2007 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

I’ve used TeXShop and Bibdesk for a couple of years now, and Bibdesk is one of the fastest-developing open source applications that I’ve used.

The only recommendation I’d make is to use the relative-path feature in the auto-file options; otherwise, if you check out your subversion repository anywhere other than your current machine, all of the BibDesk local URLs will be incorrect (and you’ll have to do a query-replace in a text editor to fix them).

3. Terrell Russell | February 28, 2007 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Cameron, ah, yes. I hadn’t run into that issue because the paths are the same on my two machines. I’ll make a note in the instructions above.

Thanks.

4. Jason Hoffman | March 1, 2007 at 4:40 am | Permalink

I too used bibdesk and texshop + subversion (it was 0.13.1 then) to do my dissertation (almost 400 pages worth) and it was a lifesaver.

5. Laurent | March 1, 2007 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

I used the same solution, but used JabRef in addition on Linux machines across our university. The missing features are easy searching (though recent versions have a “search group” where you can browse through medline for instance and sharing tags as you would for mp3. but watching at http://microformats.org/wiki and the development of sites like hubmed and citeulike makes you believe in a future solution…

6. Dean | March 21, 2007 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

For the BibDesk newbie: here’s how to get that .bib file where you want it. In the BibDesk menu, select File –> Save As. Name the file as you see fit and save it to your desired location. Then to load this file each time BibDesk starts, do this: In BibDesk preferences, choose the General panel; in the “Application Launch” area, choose “Open File…” and have it open the file you just saved.

These directions are for BibDesk 1.3.2.

7. Damien | April 2, 2007 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

What are the green check logos on the icons in the last screenshot ? some kind of subversion + finder integration ?

8. Terrell Russell | April 2, 2007 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

Yes, Damien, that’s exactly what’s going on there.

This is it – http://scplugin.tigris.org/

I’ve found it significantly less powerful than the command line, but occasionally, it’s helpful to ‘see’ what’s going on. Once you trust it.

The biggest issue for a while with the plugin was that the icons were ‘out of date’. A significant problem for something like svn integration. I see it has been updated in late January 07. It could very well be much better now.

9. Norberto Moreno | April 7, 2007 at 10:51 am | Permalink

I designed my dissertation folder exactly as you suggested with. Thank you very much. Time to write the dissertation. By the way, any suggestion as to a good .sty file for the dissertation?

10. Terrell Russell | April 7, 2007 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

Glad you found it helpful!

I’d think your university would suggest the particular style itself – no?

I haven’t looked into style file selection yet myself.

11. Ista Zahn | June 4, 2007 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

I’m deciding which program to use to manage my pdf/reference collection. I’ve been using Sente, a nice bibliography manager from third street software for some time now, but it has some annoying bugs, and is not open source. I’ve been checking out Papers as well (nice, but also not open source). BibDesk seems like an attractive option–the main problem I’m having is getting all of the PDF’s I already have on my hard drive linked up with the corresponding BibDesk reference. I would hate to have to drag-and-drop 1122 pdf’s . . . Any one have experience with this?

12. Terrell Russell | June 5, 2007 at 12:28 am | Permalink

Ista,

If anything, I’d suggest a programmatic solution for this if possible. Any chance you could look at the datafile(s) that Sente creates/maintains and parse out the local filenames pointing to your existing PDFs?

If so – you could probably get them into your BibDesk file without handling each one one-by-one.

This looks like the most immediately helpful page… http://www.thirdstreetsoftware.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=283&page=0

Perhaps this?

— from the Sente site —

Exporting references
    If you need to insert a list of references into any other software, Sente lets you specify a format and then simply drag and drop any number of references into any application that accepts RTF or plain text data. For example, to tell colleagues about some interesting new papers that just appeared in one of your standing Sente searches, you can simply drag them into a mail message and they will be inserted in whatever format you have selected. Do you want to include abstracts and your own notes? Or do you want to send BibTeX entries? No problem, just pick the right format and drop the references wherever you want.

Bibliography format editor
    Sente comes with several of the most commonly used bibliography formats installed. But what if you need something else? Sente also includes an easy-to-use format editor where you can make a custom format to suit your needs. And it is easy to copy a supplied format and modify it to serve some other purpose.

You can also use the format editor to create special-purpose formats like BibTeX, Refer, HTML, XML, or even a tab-delimited export format. This lets you use Sente data in other applications or custom scripts.

13. Vivek | July 5, 2007 at 10:49 am | Permalink

Quick question:
    Though I used the autofile feature to file my references/papers, what is the procedure to link the file??
    Bibdesk mentions that you can drag the pdf to the citation for linking files/pdfs.

For eg: this is an ideal workflow:
    1. download files and citation from IEEE/ACM(whichever).
    2. save it in Bibdesk.
    3. Bibdesk links all the files in the prescribed folder to the references based on their citekeys.
    —-
    I have been trying to do this for a while and I have been unsuccessful. Any suggestions??

14. Ista Zahn | July 7, 2007 at 12:43 am | Permalink

Hi–Autofile works pretty much as I expected in Bibdesk. Under preferences, set the rules for renaming files, then just drag and drop. Enter the reference first, otherwise BibDesk won’t know what to name your file. If you have the reference editor window open you can click on the “view file” icon in the tool bar, which gives some nice options like “link to recent download” and “link to recently opened files”. As far as I can tell, BibDesk links files based on the Autofile Preferences, not the citekeys.

For what its worth, I switched back to Sente after several weeks with BibDesk. Its a great program, but Sente beats it hands down when it comes to searching for references and automatically downloading PDF’s. While BibDesk can handle z39.50 searches (in addition to PubMed), Sente correctly maps PsychINFO records to the proper fields. And the real killer feature is that Sente can save searches, and alert you when new articles become available. I’m not trying sell you on anything, just stating what works best for me. Sente’s BibDesk support is not all it could be, but it works for the most part.

{ 1 } Trackback

1. […] BibDesk, BibTeX and Subversion – An academic’s necessity: I decided I’d choose based on 1) open formats, 2) documentation, and an 3) open development model (open source). After looking through RefWorks, vanilla BibTeX files, ProCite, EndNote, Reference Manager (the application) and BibDesk, I chose BibDesk. […]